Research, Development and Innovation
- Conducting research in crop improvement, medical, pharmaceutical, environmental and animal biotechnology.
- Conducting research including Biosafety research
- Setting up and running the National Biosafety Reference Laboratory.
- Registration of products with relevant authorities
- Administering the Biotechnology Fund.
- Responding to calls for grants and publications.
- R & D
The initial focus of Genomic Centre shall be to:-
- Advance scientific and technological competencies in the design, development and application of genomics technologies including:
- Genome and gene sequencing
- Gene annotation, editing and expression
- Forensics and diagnostics and
BIOTECHNOLOGY CAN CHANGE THE ZIMBABWEAN ECONOMY’
It is the beginning of all scientific breakthroughs. It is to identify hope, change in any phenomena. It is all we need to make strides in discoveries. Potential!
To sideline biotechnology in any economic development plans, is to sideline potential itself. For it is in this potential that mankind is able to champion innovations. Whilst some may argue that Zimbabwe is under developed, it is through biotechnology that as a nation, we can leapfrog into advance stages of modernization and create subsistence, development and all-round progress. Biotechnology has immense potential for use in agriculture, forestry, horticulture, medicine, health, chemical industry, food industry, pollution control and environment. Biotechnology occupies a very strategic position in the socio-economic advancement and development of any nation and the world at large. Globally, the biotechnology industry has grown rapidly over the years. Much attention has been given to the potential of the biotechnology industry, from drugs, agricultural and environmental products.
- Facilitate research and innovation
- Tissue culture for root and tubers
- Potentiation of yields of target crops with specific focus on food crops (maize, sweet/Irish potato) and cash crops (cotton, soya beans),
- Bioremediation of contaminated sites
- Development of human and animal drugs, medicines and vaccines
- Promote industrial and commercial application of genomic technologies.
- Convert research results to goods and services on a commercial scale
- New and improved products that can be patented
- Adopting proven biotechnologies for commercial and industrial purposes.